View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 08:05 PM   #159 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Pacifica Hybrid - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
90 day: 85.85 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,460 Times in 3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
True. But is there anything with waiting for the time being while things like kids growing up, parents getting old, and rent is still affordable at the place I live (coincidentally, a paid for mobile home on a rented lot in the cheapest trailer park in the county)?
The cost of renting vs owning usually depends most on duration. A person that will only be in the area for a year isn't going to come out ahead by paying the closing cost overhead of buying a house. Generally though, a person living in a single place for 5+ years will be ahead purchasing than renting, because the lost rent money would exceed the lost closing costs and other expenses.

Unfortunately, you own the thing that depreciates (mobile home), and not the thing that appreciates (land).

Your situation isn't as costly as someone that owns neither, but you're not putting money into the thing that appreciates in value, and there is no cost stability since the landowner can increase rent (or tell you to move).

An informed analysis of your financial situation can't be done without getting into the nitty gritty details. My speculation is that you'd be financially ahead purchasing a house/property if you could own it at least 7 years, but my uninformed speculation is not something to act on.

Quote:
It looks like a horrible place to live as an amateur radio operator though with those power lines right there.
If you want to find 'reasons' to not secure financial stability, your creativity will never disappoint.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!