View Single Post
Old 09-27-2023, 05:02 AM   #165 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
How long have you lived within 25 miles of where you currently live?
Almost 30 years.

Quote:
The point of life is to optimize decisions, and that includes financial stability.

If financial stability isn't valued very highly, then one doesn't need to optimize for it.
But what if the logical method to obtaining financial stability means most everything else gets deleted from the priority list, or at least the wants list?

To put it bluntly, yes, buying a house with property that is within my means is logically more likely to save me from a potentially expensive, perhaps impossible, monthly rent expense sometime in the future. But at the same time I do not like the idea.

Quote:
You're the one bringing up financial concerns though, which leads us to believe it's something that weighs on you. If antenna locations are more important than having housing price stability, then I don't know what to say other than don't complain in a public forum about the price of things.
Fair enough. Yes, I may make up some silly excuses for not liking the solution to my complaints. But how else do I benefit from moving far away? The only benefit I'm seeing is better financial security. I'm not saying that it isn't worth it. But to say I better give up being close to family and give up my sports, hobbies and other likes for financial security isn't very convincing.

TBH, I can't have a ham radio antenna on my trailer I bought, and so it is all portable so I can set it up somewhere else. But why does financial stability have to be the one and only reason? Why can't looking for a place that would be suitable for ham radio, a future EVSE, and other things my wife and I enjoy?

Or why not work out something else that could work out? I pay $350 in rent per month. In stead of jumping to a $1,400 house payment, why couldn't I stay where I am for now and pay $1,000 somewhere else and move when rent goes up?

Quote:
don't complain in a public forum about the price of things.
Ok. But it is a forum about modding things to bring the price of them down. Yes, I could complain less, but I got to have some sort of price problem that needs modding in order to try to ecomod it. On the other hand, perhaps the problem isn't the problem but the way I say it.

Quote:
The thing is, the sooner one stops spending on rent and depreciating liabilities, the more they benefit. Having 20 years left is better than having 10 years left.
I'm with JSH on this one. Unless I or my wife live to be more than 80 and we are able to pay off the house without foreclosing then there is no real benefit if we stop spending on rent with the exception of price locking. Having an asset that potentially wasn't fully paid for when you're dead is not an asset.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 09-27-2023 at 05:39 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac Zachary For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (09-27-2023)