View Single Post
Old 10-04-2023, 01:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Ya, cars, especially EV's, are getting heavier and more aerodynamic to the point that it's closer to 50% the energy used up by tires, although, it's complicated.

Even with regenerative braking, you're also still losing some energy to braking, so that's something to keep in mind.

The speed also makes a huge difference, as we all already know. At 75mph your wind drag is going to be more than rolling resistance in a Tesla. At 25mph, your rolling resistance is going to be more. What you average out to will depend on how and where you drive.

That being said, better rolling resistance is better, whether you're going 25mph or 75mph or 3mph or 87.3mph.

However, I'm of the mindset that traction trumps rolling resistance. If they can invent a tire that does well on pavement, water, ice and snow and get great rolling resistance, then awesome! But if not, I'll take the best traction possible over any amount of good rolling resistance. Right now I'm rocking some General Altimax 365's, an all season, all weather tire that has excellent snow and ice traction.

I do have another set of studded snow tires, but depending on how well the Altimax 365's do this winter, I may get a set of dedicated summer tires on those rims instead for better pavement traction and keep the snow-capable tires on during the Colorado traction law period of the year (September 1 - May 31).