View Single Post
Old 10-08-2023, 02:33 AM   #231 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,419 Times in 3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
It could have been fake news, but I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that higher average ages these days aren't really due to adults living longer. People usually lived to around 70 to 90 years old before. The reason is children tend to survive to adulthood better. That, and due to abortion being a thing, now still births are no longer counted as deaths. When you have a lot of 0-year-olds that die then the average tends to go down.
Sounds like fake news to me.

When social security was enacted into law, most people didn't make it to 65 to collect it.

I had MRSA in my knee at the age of 28. It probably would have killed me if penicillin hadn't been developed.

When I was 30, my L5-S1 disc bulged into my spinal cord, crippling me both in motor function and in pain. If we were a hunter/gatherer society, I'd be dead meat.

Although I'm highly critical of how barbaric 'modern medicine' is, it's still less barbaric than it used to be. Civil war era, you got shot, and you're going to lose whatever limb was hit. Nowadays, you get shot 13 times, and you're out of the hospital in a few days.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!