View Single Post
Old 10-08-2023, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I'm going to venture out these opinions, take 'em or leave 'em.

The objective is to follow your priorities. I see that safety seems to be your top priority, which is the reason for choosing the SUV. As far as that goes, I would urge you to first research the safety of your vehicle vs. other, more fuel efficient models.

Just going by "it looks big so must be safe" makes about as much sense as "it looks small so must be fuel efficient." There's a chance the Tahoe isn't as safe as you think it is, and that some smaller, more fuel efficient car out there could actually be safer.

According to the NHTSA, the 2023 Chevy Tahoe only gets an overall 4 star crash test rating. Have you considered this? Does having less than 5 stars not mean anything to you?

The main killer of 5 stars is it's 3 star rollover rating. If you're traveling 90 miles a day, how much of that exposes you to front (4 to 5 stars) and side (5 star) impacts? I would guess you do a lot of high speed freeway driving, the kind of driving that exposes you to drivers clipping into a corner of your vehicle and sending you into a deadly rollover. Do you really want a vehicle with a 3 star rating for that kind of driving?

https://youtube.com/shorts/zRm-BSzhe...Cqgnbb4iRSRabj

Of course maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you drive along cross streets all day and need protection from side impacts.

On the other hand, the 2023 Prius and Prius Prime have G (Best) rated 2.0 side crash tests with the IIHS. The new 2.0 similates something as big and heavy as being T-boned by a large SUV or pickup. If the Prius does well in a side impact by a large SUV and doesn't have the rollover put-your-head-at-bumper-height problem, then what's holding you back????!!!!

I mean, seriously. You could be driving a Prius and be safer than you are now. Seriously!

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 10-08-2023 at 05:30 PM..