View Single Post
Old 10-12-2023, 10:52 PM   #48 (permalink)
j-c-c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Logically, if the car has the same kind of tires both front and rear and has close to a 50/50 weight distribution, any flexing, wrinkling or such will happen both during acceleration and during braking.

I'm sure a top fuel rail dragster is not similar to a typical car we drive down streets.

I also do not see how tire torque causes it to push down. If I let the air out of my tires and my axle is lower, is it pushing down harder on the tires now?
The wrinkling seen IMO is a byproduct of the lag of the outermost tread surface "stuck" to the pavement lagging rotationally behind the wheel rim, angling the tire's carcasses reinforcement plies from no longer being perpendicular to the rim as the rim/wheel tries to accelerate its rotation, resisted by the car's mass, and that angling of the ply's without stretching allows the tread/contact surface now to become closer to the rim, effectively shortening the rolling radius of the tire. The inherent compression as tire gets a smaller rolling radius of the contact patch forces the sidewall to wrinkle.
The Following User Says Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (10-12-2023)