View Single Post
Old 10-17-2023, 08:38 PM   #670 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,610 Times in 7,091 Posts
Quote:
On a related side note, I sure am gonna miss YouTube lol. I can't believe we're at the point where my unwillingness to spend my time by watching advertisements excludes me from participating. But here we are.
Else one can just not put up with their shennigans. Here's a lucid explanation:
Quote:
@Dr.Cosmar
12 hours ago (edited)
I do a lot of coding, and let me try to break it down. Why it's impossible, and stupid. It's a decision made from the top though, and developers just going, "guess I'll collect a paycheck and beat my head against the wall for a while."

Detecting adblock software can be approached several ways.
1. Java requests
2. Element Hiding
3. Element Size
4. Network requests
5. Fingerprinting

And in everyway, they intend to limit the user's access if they fail one of the algorithmic checks. This does create a never ending arms race, however, youtube is at a disadvantage. The adblocking service has the user's machine at it's disposal, the "endpoint", the youtube service only has whatever data it can legally request from the user's machine, and has to rely on that to be correct to do it's job.

Here in lies the root of the problem... because at the end of ad-block creating rabbit hole I once ventured down, at the end of the day... you only had to find the request handles, and then spoof information when the html event triggered. There is NO way around this unless they pry into other parts of your system without your permission. Even then, internet sleuths would quickly figure it out, and quickly create a spoof for that as well.

If you are the content provider, you are the server. You can't tell what the endpoint is doing unless it's requesting data from the sever. They have no way of verifying if the spoofed data is correct, and trying will introduce many instances of people being unable to use YouTube on their device. That happens for just a few hours, YouTube stocks plummet by a point.

This announcement was perfect, I love watching alphabet burn money.
Here's #1 to get started:
Code:
youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)
youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)
Dunno if it works. Chromium on the Raspberry Pi blocks ads at the browser level. Couldn't turn it off if I wanted, and I politely decline otherwise.

I'm more bothered by having to scroll the categories on the main page to Recently Uploaded to eliminate the interspersed Shorts.