View Single Post
Old 10-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
JacobLeSann
Master EcoModder

Thank you aerohead, good stuff. I’m surprised that the cobalt went with an EBLA less than 12. I suppose it’s just a rule of thumb. Overlaying a streamlining template could make sense, really

I think the next logical step of testing is building a pressure-measuring device to asses lift/downforce. From what I’ve read, tail extensions like this can create lift; producing diminishing returns as they are lengthened. Reading about pressures makes me want to know what my angled spoilers are doing.

————————

AirTabs. Hmm, yes. I like them although I find them very silly looking. Judging from experiments I’ve seen on similar cars, they’re likely going to be placed around halfway down my rear glass. Energizing the boundary layer to get rid of the separation bubble at the rear should help with overall drag (in spite of the drag from the VGs themselves).

Another option, of which I like more aesthetically, is that of the Ford Sierra XR4i or the Dodge Stealth. These cars have airfoil wings above the transition points from the rear glass to their “trunks”. From Ford’s patent, it can be read that these alter air speed (it’s a wing), which changes the pressure eliminates the separation bubble. Careful work is done to balance the improvement versus the drag of the wing. I assume the dodge stealth works the same way.

Either of these options seem key in removing that separation bubble. The main trick is playing the right hand in order to get more overall reduction versus the device drag of the respective item.

Of course, let me know if I have things wrong. I learn things by doing them.

P.S…..I wonder if there are other areas on the cars that vortex generators or wings could be placed? I wonder if they could help the stock mirrors on my car. Those have terrible flow!
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobLeSann For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-30-2023)