View Single Post
Old 10-28-2023, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
This message comes from a Raspberry Pi 4 that uses 3 Amps at 5 Volts (IIRC 15 Watts).

The new Pi 5 requires a 5 Watt supply, because it how has a PCIe connector. OTOH, it has Power over Ethernet in addition to the USB-C power.
I have a Pi 3 and a Pi 4. I'm using the Pi 4 as a MIDI controller. I had ordered the Pi 3 a long time ago and when it finally came in I had the Pi 4.

However, I'm looking for a tiny form factor way of sending data over shortwave using the VARA protocol. I can use my Surface Windows tablet along with a modem (external sound card). But that's bulky and takes up a lot of space. I'm looking into putting together a (tr)uSDX tranceiver that can take CAT controls over USB (as in "universal serial bus", not to be confused with "upper side band.") I can run VARA on Linux, so maybe that would a project for the Pi-3. But I am hoping there's a way, or will be a way, of running VARA on an Android phone. I can already run data to HF/VHF code on Android, but don't have a good way of using the VARA protocol without something external like a Linux or Windows computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The Mac Mini is not world-facing because I foolishly installed Norton Antivirus on it, and that came with a lot of baggage that I don't trust. Asahi Linux is still on the way.
Generally I don't see the point of any thrid party antivirus software with only a few exceptions. Usually the antivirus that Apple, Windows or Google hands out is good enough for the average user, especially if you avoid shady websites and don't open emails you're not 100% sure of where they came from.