View Single Post
Old 11-16-2023, 02:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
1) the wheel arches on the XL1 don't appear to be any 'smaller' than for the 2002 VW.
2) BMW was a decade away from inventing the air curtain. And your IONIQ set a land speed record when Hyundai installed convex, MOON wheel covers, and 'CLOSED' the air curtains. You might want to contact them and ask them why.
3) The 2002 VW has more of a proper K- form tail. I'm not sold on the notion that an open cavity has an aerodynamic advantage, compared with a 'closed' tail. Some of the 'cavities' experienced on cars have more to do with taillight and brake light lighting contrast for safety, then for aerodynamics. That's why I've done it.
4) The 2002 car does have a diffuser.
I actually asked Julian edgar about why Hyundai covered the air curtains for that test and he said that the Hyundai American racing division in charge of the project at the time didn’t understand air curtains and had the old school mentality of taping over every open hole at the time.

As for the moon caps, they probably just went that route because it’s the easier “ plug and play” 100 percent wheel cover versus having to design and make a fully closed on for their record attempt.