View Single Post
Old 11-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Are people still ecomodding?

Sometimes I wonder why I haven't actually done any ecomodding, other than a block heater that has turned out to not really help all that much.

I think the main person to blame is myself. I just don't have what it takes to add a boat tail to my car, and other than body mods there doesn't seem like much I can do to these new fangled cars. I've tried the cardboard in front of the radiator and the blockheater, but I don't feel like I'm getting those great MPG's I always wanted. In fact some the cardboard seemed more of a pain than a help, especially on weekends going up steep mountain passes.

I haven't kept track myself, but my MPG average according to my car is just over 35mpg. That's 12.5% lower than advertised and we haven't even started winter yet!

On the other hand I don't seem to be the only one. When I log on to Ecomodder and go to the recent posts, nowadays there might only be 11 or 12 recent threads and of those about 20% are about anti climate change. There may be a thread here and there about pizza tins on rims, but other than that it doesn't seem that many people actually ecomod any more.

I used to have the dream I'd put on wheel skirts, and boat tail, and add more battery to the hybrid and make it a PHEV, and put insulation all around the engine and transaxle, and put on a 1.5kW block heater, and make a thick "sleeping bag" car cover for the night and tuck in my car every night. But I think I gave up without even trying.

What should I try? What should I do? What would be a good plan? What should the goal even be?