View Single Post
Old 11-20-2023, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
The block heater was great in the Civic Wagon. That thing took forever to warm up. It was worth it just for the quicker cabin heat. The exact same block heater, transferred into the Insight engine, isn't that useful. The Insight was designed to warm up quickly, and it does.
I need to do some testing, but just from experience:
  • Without the block heater connected the engine will be some 10 degrees or so warmer than ambient in the morning. If it's -30 °F the engine will be like -20 °F. It takes several minutes for the heater to start putting out any heat.
  • With the block heater connected all night long the engine will be some 30 to 40 °F warmer than ambient. So on a -30 °F day it's not that much better than 0 °F still. It still takes several minutes for the heater to start putting out any heat.

I do have a 1,500W circulating tank block heater that I want to install. The problem is finding places to attach it. I either need a 120V pump that's connected to the same plug as the heater so coolant always flows through it when it's on, or I need to modify the thermostat housing for a place for coolant to flow out towards the circulating heater, with a T up on the upper radiator hose.