View Single Post
Old 11-23-2023, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Are you comparing pizza pans to the aero covers or pizza pans to no covers at all? I’m curious to how much extra range full covers give versus the aero covers.
Correct, closed vs no covers.

I have after market, light weight wheels, seven spokes, and lighter weight than OEM Bridgestone ECOPIA tires. Together they improved efficiency up to 45 mph. Above 45 mph, the OEM wheels and tires were more efficient.

In 2019, my Model 3 had the same wheels and 18" tires used on their higher performance trims. They were well sized for the extra power versus what I need for the lightest weight, 3800 lbs, lowest power, 258 HP, Model 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
I’ve been experimenting with taking over the cooling slots in my ioniqs aero covers to elimate all ventilation drag. I haven’t been to concerned about the lug nut holes and just use the excuse that they act as mini vortex generators to energize the air flow to help it reattach to the car body after the wheel ( don’t know how true that is)
The lug nut holes were a compromise because the covers are not easily removed and installed. However, there are two problems solved by having body side or interior, wheel covers: (1) reduce interior drag, and; (2) removable outside covers.

The inside of the wheel spokes still work like fan impellers with some loss of energy (i.e., drag) on the wheels.

By using a tab and slot design, the outer cover needs only the air valve access which also works as the thumb opening to rotate the cover. It could have its own, minature, rotating cover to close the valve hole.

Regardless, this will require precise manufacturing which necessitates a 2 ft, CNC machine for precise cuts.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-23-2023 at 03:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-27-2023)