View Single Post
Old 11-23-2023, 10:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
Correct, closed vs no covers.

I have after market, light weight wheels, seven spokes, and lighter weight than OEM Bridgestone ECOPIA tires. Together they improved efficiency up to 45 mph. Above 45 mph, the OEM wheels and tires were more efficient.

In 2019, my Model 3 had the same wheels and 18" tires used on their higher performance trims. They were well sized for the extra power versus what I need for the lightest weight, 3800 lbs, lowest power, 258 HP, Model 3.

The lug nut holes were a compromise because the covers are not easily removed and installed. However, there are two problems solved by having body side or interior, wheel covers: (1) reduce interior drag, and; (2) removable outside covers.

The inside of the wheel spokes still work like fan impellers with some loss of energy (i.e., drag) on the wheels.

By using a tab and slot design, the outer cover needs only the air valve access which also works as the thumb opening to rotate the cover. It could have its own, minature, rotating cover to close the valve hole.

Regardless, this will require precise manufacturing which necessitates a 2 ft, CNC machine for precise cuts.

Bob Wilson
im assuming youre saying better highway economy with the heavier wheels because of the inertia thing?

that makes sense in theory on a flat open road, but so far ive been dealing with heavier and inch bigger tires and on flat i do notice that affect, but in real world driving im noticing i have to push more on the throttle to go up a mini hill or speed back up after a car pulls in front of me then speeds up. nothing is ever constant, even when going 75 on the highway. its always mini pulse and glide type driving and the bigger wheels are requiring more throttle versus little taps from my smaller lighter wheels