Thread: Gasoline VAPOR?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2023, 04:54 PM   #63 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

I am back:

Vapor build:

First a replay to the bad belief that today’s engines burn all the fuel within the combustion stroke: WRONG!!

In fact a good percentage of the fuel is still burning as the piston passed BDC after the power stroke and is still burning as the piston starts on the upward exhaust stroke and still burning as it passes the exhaust valve and still burning as it passes though the exhaust manifold.

The cooling system is need to handle most of this wasted heat to keep the engine from overheating.

And the catalytic convertor is there to FINISH as much as it can BURNING the remaining unburned fuel which with OUT unburned fuel it will GO COLD. The Cats NEED unburned fuel to heat up and work.

SO the modern car is at best 30% efficient, that is 30% of the gasoline put into it does any real work in pushing the piston down.

OK here is the theory behind this claim.

ONLY vapor burns, but getting gasoline into a vapor sate is not easy, so cars rely on the fuel droplets vaporizing on their own, in carbs some happened as fuel was mixed with air from the carb to the combustion chamber. Some might be happening with Throttle Body Injection as there is some little time for the air and fuel to mix on its way to the combustion chamber.

This no longer happens with port injection and direct injection. But Port injection in the early Tuned Port Injection system did do a funny thing, inject fuel onto the hot intake valve which help vaporize the fuel before the valve opened….

So now we have to now rely on the heat in the combustion chamber to try to convert the fuel to vapor, note there is no real time so only 20 to 30% gets converted.

Also gas burning in an ICE (internal Combustion Engine) needs a lot of lead time so we start this burning up to 40+ degrees BEFORE Top Dead Center, and sadly it keeps burning after the power stroke and as it exits the engine and then in the exhaust manifold and so on. The left over still burning fuel is ALL wasted. Even Exhaust Gas Return does only used very little of this.
This is what the catalytic convertor burns.

Vapor on the other hand burns very fast, and needs no advance start to its burning, so it can be fired AT TDC and then can product full power for the power stroke from TDC to BDC (Bottom dead center) And it can be almost all consumed at that point so there is NO burning fuel exiting the engine.

So this will use a much lesser amount of fuel (perhaps only 30%) to do the same work and none is wasted so the extra 60 to 80% is not needed.

As for the Fuel Vapor thing, I see it as a grass roots deal, working out how to do it and as an add-on device it could be put onto any car, and to help avoid suppression I figured on Public Domain it all over the internet with the plans so almost anyone can make them…with the correct tools.

I also plan on an open letter to all concerned, that with the possibility that oil will run out some day, this would triple the supplies as we would be using 2/3 less, and polluting 2/3 or less, which would make the Internal Combustion Engine very competitive to the Electric Cars.

And as it can be added to any car allowing mass improvement in both MPG and PPM (Pollution Per Mile) as any and every car could be converted to its use.

This could help EVERYONE, not the rich whom can afford these new cars, who hardly need any gas saving cars, it is just an IN thing to do.

Consider how much savings a 75 to 125 MPG car would mean to everyone and how it possibility run super clean and how low the demand FOR Gasoline would become and how many decades even perhaps lifetimes it will take to use up all the oil and a say 30% of the current rate of use.

One of the main concerns has been at the high temps needed to fully vaporize todays gasoline there is a very real problem of vapor so hot it will burn with any air.

My ideas include using the current engine cooling water system to also cool these vapors to a much safer non-auto-flammable temps for safer insertion into engine’s intake, and which in cold weather will make up for the lost heat from a cooler vapor burning engine.

At last I came up with what I believe is an answer to those problems:

Three to four one-way flapper valves to keep outside air from getting in.

Sensors to detect any unwanted BURNING fuel in system and instant shut down.

Low temp startup of system to insure positive only fuel vapor in system before full heat is applied with pressure sensors.

Ceramic (or similar) tiles as insolation.

Possible a second (secondary) feed for added power?

My understanding is once converted to 100% vapor that it is a fact and law of nature stuff will remain in its current state of matter, be it a solid, or liquid, and vapor, that to convert it to another state takes a fair amount of energy to cause such a change of state, thus once in a gas state it will take a lot to convert it back to a liquid.

There are very real risks to do this most ways...the main one is most systems make vapor after an engine is turned off and such vapor under the hood is very dangerous... my system based on a other invention, will produce just the right amount of vapor on demand and will stop within a few seconds when shut off.