View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bm93
EcoModding Lurker

Trying to decide if it's going to be cost effective to get a different car for hypermiling

I've got a Ford Mondeo 2008 2.0 Petrol. At the moment I've only just started properly, as I got a job 30 miles away, 17 of which are on motorway. I'm currently getting 36mpg, but there's a couple techniques I haven't tried yet, like coasting in gear when needing to slow down instead of in neutral, as I didn't realise it used no fuel in gear.

Anyway, if I got another car, especially a hybrid (because of both the engine switch off in neutral, plus the savings in road tax and possibly insurance), if I could get close to doubling my FE, I'd save just over £100 a month in fuel alone, not sure about tax and insurance. So now I'm trying to decide if I should go for it or not, bearing in mind I don't have the cash to buy outright, so it'd end up on the drip.

Have to keep thinking about it as it would obviously pay off down the line, but in the immediate term it may not be worth it and I may do better off waiting until I've finished my apprenticeship and my pay goes up in a year.

*I just found out that the average MPG reader in the car isn't very accurate, which should have been obvious to be honest. It used to be around 29mpg which should net me about 440 miles with my 70l car, but I get closer to 400. So nay improvement would be even better.

Last edited by Bm93; 11-29-2023 at 11:32 AM..