View Single Post
Old 11-30-2023, 04:14 PM   #58 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've gone from empty to fully charged on several occasions in the Prius plug-in, which has just over 3 kWh of usable charge. Coming down from Creator Lake, and coming down from Yosemite. I don't think I can get a full charge coming down from Mt. Hood, which has at least 10 miles of continuous costing/regen.

The annoying thing about the Prius is the engine kicks on for some reason when regen has been going for a long time, or when nearing full charge.

Nice to recover that energy, but the reality is a full charge is like getting an extra 1/5th of a gallon of gasoline.
I wonder if the engine is on but running DFCO? Wouldn't be using any fuel then, just helping slow the car.

My plug in Pacifica would stay off, but I guess I never really tested long regen to the point of full charge. I do know it would do the full battery without ever starting the motor to warm the engine. My Sonata hybrid starts the engine right as you pull away from the curb no matter how much charge or how little throttle you apply. It does seem to warm up pretty quickly, maybe trying to lite the cats off? It will switch to EV mode after only maybe 3 minutes if conditions are right. It's still not showing much water temperature but maybe a little is enough.

The Pacifica went months without ever starting. I finally got that gas refresh point where it wanted to burn the tank. I still only used about 1/4 tank and refilled and that satisfied the nanny.