Thread: Identity Theft
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2023, 11:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Problem is: which end leaked? I continue to suspect the recieving end. Cant see redpoint causing enough consternation or showing a huge amount of resources to cause a maninthemiddle attack to be worth any ones time.. probably is sloppy house keeping security.

Saying back in the day: can't steal what isn't there to steal.

Hardware aint opaque, just difficult for the unlearned. Good way to be as I hate when some people try to fix things which aren't broken and then I have to restore.
My friend has a 15 year old cable modem/router and WiFi he rents, the company refuses to update it unless he pays for it, I told him that it’s time to apply a bit of 220vac to the wrong bits and tell them it failed. Old rented garbage like that is everywhere and is not very secure, a bit of malware can make a router into somebodies hub.

When I was on dialup I knew every incoming and outgoing connection realtime and could block anything or everything I wanted with a simple firewall.

I follow the can’t steal what isn’t there method on my end but sadly the other end is like a dripping sponge, I at least have plausible deniability since I don’t put any financials out into the wild.

That doesn’t seem to stop the steal as I seem to be in every data breach, back in ye olde times when I ran a small business it was stated in no uncertain terms that it was illegal to retain data past a validated payment, love how places I haven’t dealt with since high school still manage to leak my full identity, despite the practice being functionally illegal (even though nobody follows the law except small business)

Last edited by rmay635703; 12-01-2023 at 11:38 AM..