View Single Post
Old 12-12-2023, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I have a friend who works in a giant Palladium mine in Montana, I think it's the 2nd biggest on earth. Palladium is used in catalytic converters and fuel cells. The price has dropped from $3000 per once in March 2022 to $1000/ounce today. I can't imagine that's due to anything more than BEVs on the rise and ICE on the decline. If fuel cells take off then the prices should return. I suppose recycling may be helping, buy so much recycling is actually stolen converters I hope they crack down on that. Here in Montana there are so many ghost towns from the silver mining days. Here one day, gone the next. The silver never ran out, it's still there, just the value went down. We also supplied America's copper or at least 51% of it from a single hole. It was 26% of the world's supply and was a key component for the industrial revolution. It's a toxic wasteland today, but hey, we got that progress! I kind of don't believe the EPA will ever allow lithium mines that probably look just like that old copper mine in today's world. We will dig up and trash somebody else's back yard, and pay them $10/day to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (12-13-2023)