View Single Post
Old 12-16-2023, 03:50 AM   #808 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,419 Times in 3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Liberal or Classical Liberal?
Liberal, in the Latin sense, which is the only legitimate sense. Not in the Democratic People's Republic of China sense, which is also known as nonsense.

I'm the most liberal person I know... although I am friends with a Libertarian who used to be on the left. We might meet up around Christmas; he'll do most of the talking, I'll disagree somewhat, and we'll be good friends. He went from listening to Rush on the radio all the time, to whatever Portland said he should think, to Libertarian in Idaho.

I struck him once on new years eve, and apologized the next day, and he admitted he deserved it, having forced entry into the room me and my girlfriend were in after I explained I'm going to strike anyone that enters the lockless room.

He persevered that relationship anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
It's the 50% rule that I did not make up.

The most I've ever spent on a car was the Avalon for $15,000, and I make around $45k. I don't think I'd ever spend more than $20,000 on a car, and that's just going by my circumstances, not the rule.
$20k is about the most I can see spending on an expensive and depreciating thing. That said, I did entertain spending $50k on a dual motor Cybertruck, which is now $80k that I will never spend that much on. Even if I were a billionaire, I'd not spend that much just out of principle.

Quote:
Looking at 5-year-old Toyota Yaris' and Honda Fits with less than 60k miles on Autotrader in a 300 mile radius of my zip code with the setting starting with cheapest gets me $15,595 and up, about the same as I paid for the Avalon.
There are consequences of producing less because of a pandemic, and money being worth less due to inflation.

Quote:
Another question that runs through my head is, do I sell the Avalon now while it's still worth over $10k, or do I wait 3 years later when it has 200k on it, and pop in a $5k hybrid battery when that dies and keep going in a 14-year-old car with over 200k on it?
You want to sell it the day before it exhibits the first sign of a major problem, and that's the problem.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 12-16-2023 at 11:29 AM..