View Single Post
Old 12-16-2023, 04:56 PM   #814 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Unlike Redpoint I actually have bought new vehicles but that was more than 2 decades ago when I was making stupid financial decisions and living beyond my means. (That was also before I read Rich Dad Poor Dad or the Millionaire Next Door)
I don't recall if it was in high school, or just after prison that I read Rich Dad Poor Dad, or even how I came to own the book. Early on I was interested in "self-help" titles like How to Win Friends and Influence People, The Five Love Languages, and Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus...

For some reason I've always had a mind for economics; it just comes more intuitively to me than others.

I'm re-reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad, as that was the requirement a friend of mine made when I solicited him to mentor me. He owns a print shop and rental properties, and will probably retire soon. What amazes me is he and his wife still live in the same humble home they bought 20 years ago in Aloha. They just recently began construction of their new home in Lebanon (Oregon).

Quote:
I've mentored about 2 dozen newly graduated engineers in my 25 year career. Every one of them wants to take that first paycheck and buy an expensive car.
It amazed me that every student in my wife's PA program and incurring a $10k debt every 3 months, would be traveling to Belize, or the Bahamas during Christmas break. Every break, everyone was going to some far off place. Meanwhile I'm putting the $10k bill on a credit card and paying it off before interest charges kick in.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!