View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm saying if there was a bazillion dollar subsidy, you will not find a new Bolt for $12,500. The car would then be priced at a bazillion twenty-four thousand, because that's the way supply and demand work to set price.
The thing is that I'm looking outside of my state. In other states there might not be an incentive. So it's not as easy as dealers just adding the incentive to their vehicle's price in order for them to benefit from it because there's still a supply and demand that varies with each location.

The car in question is being sold in Minnesota, which has a used EV rebate of only $600 (compared to the $4,000 incentive in Colorado). As far as I know I can get the Colorado incentive even if I buy the vehicle outside of Colorado. But I'd have to get that EV with a potentially less than 250 mile range and no heat pump from Minnesota to SW Colorado in the middle of January if I went to get it right now. I'm not sure many Coloradans are willing to do such a thing, so I doubt the Colorado incentive is influencing the price of that Bolt.

When I got the 2013 Leaf I bought it for about $12,000 in Utah but got the Colorado credit at that time of about $3,000 on it bringing the price down to $9,000 (which I sold a year later for $7,000).