View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Sounds like CO is very bad at writing law that actually accomplishes the purposes they seek. That said, arbitrage works on the price edges; there's hardly a scenario where there's thousands to be had with little effort.

Oregon stupidly offers $2,500 for used EV purchases to "modest" income people, and it requires the vehicle to be purchased from a dealership in Oregon. It's funded by charging a 1% fee on all vehicles purchased from a dealership. If funding is insufficient, people simply don't get the $2,500 they thought they would.
Why do you say they aren't accomplishing what they seek with their laws? If their purpose is to bring in more EV's into the state then they already have with my Nissan Leaf purchase. And if I go through with a Bolt purchase they will have again. How are they losing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm telling you that you will never purchase a new $12,500 Bolt EV, so there's no point entertaining the idea. If that was possible, I'd be funding every CO Bolt EV purchase in the state and taking a cut of the profit.
Perhaps.

All I know is that here they are advertising a new Bolt with an MSRP of $27,790 in Kentucky. The same Bolt is advertised on the main Cheverolet.com website for $21,000 after the federal tax credit. That doesn't include any state incentive, and Colorado offers a $7,500 incentive for new EV's.

$21,000 - $7,500 = $13,500.

$27,790 - $7,500 - $7,500 = $12,790.

Not that they wouldn't try to upsell me if I went to try to purchase it. Maybe they'd be like, "Oh! You're from Colorado! This Bolt will cost you $7,500 more because you're from a state that adds another $7,500 incentive on top of the federal $7,500 tax credit. So $35,290 for you!"