View Single Post
Old 01-13-2024, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
sgtlethargic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post

Transportation is nearly a third. Of that personal vehicles are only around 10%.
So buying an electric car is wholy ineffective as most of the emissions are being cranked out buy heavy trucks, planes and trains.
Your pie graph must be for the entire US. I'm asking for and talking about on the personal level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4
Agriculture is 11% so eat whatever you want it won't make a difference, if you eat a "climate friendly diet" you're getting more of your fresh green food shipped by air from south America or pacific islands. So most of whatever you think you'll save there is just going towards burning jet fuel.
That's not true, according to the quote from the following link, which seems credible:

Quote: Transporting food by plane can come with a large carbon footprint. But very little of our food travels this way – just 0.16% of food miles are from air travel.

https://ourworldindata.org/food-transport-by-mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4
Biggest energy user in homes is an electric vehicle if you have one and HVAC. For me I burn fire wood so I use hardly any electricity during the winter. If I didn't have my leaf my power bills would be about $30, 2/3 of that being the service charge.
For summer I have split air conditioners so I only cool 0 to 2 rooms of my house, weturn it off during the day while where away. The splits can cool down a hot living room in about 10 minutes. About 28 out of 30 days a month my central A/C stays off.
The splits and wood stove save hundreds of dollars per month in electricity during the summer an winter.
I don't have an EV. I wouldn't mind having a Nissan Leaf.

I used to live in the foothills and burn firewood in a wood stove. I would use "mini splits" and not burn firewood. Some people say that burning firewood is carbon-neutral, and it might be, but burning firewood releases that sequestered carbon, and NOT burning it keeps it sequestered. And (some ways of) burning firewood creates a lot of particulate pollution.

I would like to have mini splits, but I was able to fix my old HVAC system for cheap, and the buy-in is more than we can afford.

How do the mini splits do for heating? I would think they'd do just as well or better than they do for cooling.