View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
There are claims that because Texas has soil that flows like a river and because they just plop slabs on a floating rubble foundation there are claims that it isn’t possible to have underground pipe that goes under the slab in a sleeve and pops up somewhere through the foundation as the pipes will break and leak often..

The claim is the pipe must go above ground through the ceiling (which is illegal in many areas for residential)

So what is the proper technique for a flat on grade slab?

I don't know about Texas but my house in Alabama was built on a slab foundation over gravel. The water ran under the house and popped up through PVC pipes in the slab that acted like a conduit.

Our neighbor had the same set-up and her house sprung a leak under the slab due to a failed water pressure regulator. Instead of jack hammering her slab looking for the leak they replumbed the house through the attic. A few years later we got a cold snap and her pipes froze and burst resulting in massive water damage.

On the topic of weird plumbing - I was talking to a plumber recently and he said a lot of houses here in the Portland area have the water heater in the attic. Not only is that a nightmare to replace but when they fail - massive water damage.