View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
LRR & Legislation

In 1992, when GM debuted their Ultralite concept, with ultra-low R-R Good-years, I contacted Paul Bowers at Goodyear to see if I could get some.
He told me that, although they constructed the tires for Ultralite, they were simply building the tire to GM's proprietary specifications, and if I wanted some, I'd have to get permission from GM.
So I wrote GM's legal affairs department, and later got a polite reply that, GM was flattered by my proposal, but at the moment, not interested in selling a royalty agreement for the tire's manufacture.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe that, at least dealers have access to OEM tires, and any motorist would be free to purchase tires of any stripe from their parts department. And DISCOUNT TIRE sells some one-of-a-kind GM tires, as no other tire manufacturer supplies a 'duplicate'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And while auto manufacturers have open access to tire specifications, consumers do not.
California tried to pass a state law, requiring that consumers have total access to R-R data for aftermarket tire purchases, but it was shot down in Sacramento. Obviously, elected state congress-people, in effect, don't feel that consumers should ever be told the 'square-footage of a home, or whether or not there's any insulation in the walls or ceilings'. R-Factor of windows or doors.
Good for Washington State for trying to make a mistake in favor of the consumer. There ARE a lot of investors who stand to lose $ billions in gas/diesel/kWh sales, if such a law passes. And you can bet that lobbyists will outnumber everyone else, and be given the most time at the 'podium' during policy negotiations.