View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 11:54 AM   #358 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
When I was the fleet manager, I'm not anymore, I saw the book time, the billed times, and I knew the approximate actual times for the jobs. Our guy was fair IMO. He has been working on these trucks since we got them in 1994. He also charges us $100/hr which is more than fair. It's all set up with a bid process. Management got all pissy with him after I left the job and tried to get a 2nd contractor. They were $180/hr, took longer, and I question some of the work I saw. I'm pretty sure they just went back to the first guy who is now even more adverse to us. I think the Post Office just wanted a guy who they could just go to and have him drop everything else. Not really fair to his other customers who have had appointments for months to get their jobs done.

Anyway, he could beat book time on most things, some were good money makers for him. Some stuff wasn't very reasonable, but there wasn't much he couldn't get close with. If he ran into a issue like a broken bolt, he could adjust time, so he wasn't completely screwed. I jokingly questioned him about something he fixed for me in 30 seconds we got a bill for 1/2 hour on, and he replied he charged me $45 for the 30 years knowledge of how to do it and $5 for actually doing it. He also would teach me those easy common fixes which technically screwed him out of more work, but he had more than he could do anyway.