View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 12:54 PM   #360 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I love my relaxed paid by the hour all the same maintenance job. I get a task and if it don't know how to do it, I can learn how, usually on YouTube, then organize tools, order supplies, diver there and back, do the job, file the paperwork and it's all just paid based on when I clocked in and out that day. So initially it costs the Post Office a lot, but less and less over the years. I'm in no hurry driving trying to make time, or screwed out of time on say the admin side doing paperwork. There are preventative tasks that call for a time, but it doesn't really matter and I have found they are generous. There is also a danger some bean counter will try and find an outside contract to save money if the group of technicians is averaging a long time on certain jobs. I saw a grievance in Denver where they did hire a locksmith to change mailbox locks. It ended up going back to the post office janitors in part for security of the mail but more than anything past practice and bad documentation from management. I do feel good about a day where I get the heat back on in a building simply in a few hours when I know it would have been at least $1000 outside technician emergency call. Now if I could just get the local tradesman supply like Johnsons to sell to me without a contractors license. I can get everything though Grainger or SID tools but it takes a few days.