View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 08:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
Andyinchville1
EcoModding Lurker

I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI (5 speed) and on factory steelies and ecopia 195-65R15 tires @ 44 psi I used to average about 47 - 48 MPG ..... I switched to lightweight wheels (Volk TE 37) and larger tires (215 - 75R15 Hankook tires at 51 psi ( I'll have to look at the model) ) and got basically about 9 percent better fuel mileage .... I attribute this to the overdrive effect of the tires .... I had weights of the wheel / tires before but I misplaced them unfortunately .... I have about a 1.5" lift on the front end to help level the car when unladen .... my take (at least on my car) ... larger tires for an OD effect can be helpful for MPG if your engine can pull the extra load .... despite a lift of 1.5" I still had MPG gains so extra lift does not always hurt ? (unless of course I may have gotten MORE mpg's without lift?..... Hopefully this is some food for thought).
Andrew

NOTE : Car is modded .... it would be nice to try steelies and the ecopias again in factory size to see MPG comparison now since I may have done some modding along the line before the final larger tire size (current size)....
Ecky (02-18-2024)