View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
tekcajwolley
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks

I appreciate straight forward replies.
I’m not sure about some technicalities though. Following your advice/comments, how would I even bring this car into the state? My understanding is that all transfers of ownership and new registrations go through the smog check in California.
I’m sure in some remote counties, one can do many things to a car with an existing registration, but the new registration part seems to be vexing me.
And a person can have a “domicile” in one state while actually residing in another.
This build was done in remote Colorado with the intent to be as close as possible to relevant emission standards. My aim was to lower CO2 emissions. The only way to lower CO2 is to use less fuel. To do this I had to gain access to the fuel maps via aftermarket ecu mods.
If this car were to fail at epa reg standards, it would be in excess NOx emissions. As fuel mixtures go lean, nitrous goes up. But at this point it’s a fair trade off. CO2 seems to be the bigger boogeyman today.
One thing chaps my hide are all the “trucks”. Many light and medium duty trucks are being used for no other than grocery getters. Yeah, they might pull a boat or haul a sheet of plywood once in a while, but many are just cruising comfortably to the store or work and back.
My NOx emitting “little green car” is well under the volume they emit. And yet they pass smog! It’s about percentages of the mass, not the mass itself.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
K20a3 in 02 insight.