View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 12:45 PM   #850 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I re-ran the numbers with these conditions :
1) the OEM configuration is good for 41.07-mpg.
2) the 100% grille-block, mirror delete, rear skirts, wheel covers, and burst edge extensions produce an estimated Cd 0.1820, good for 47.76-mpg.
3) adding a 12-mph tailwind produces 59.49-mpg.
4) adding the reduced air density of 4,000-foot elevation brings us to a maximum allowable 62.17-mpg.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somewhere, we've got to account for the missing 16-mpg.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The eastern trip, from Beaverton to Boise is 438.5-miles, and almost exactly 5-hours and thirty- minutes., at 80-mph. A lot can happen to 'outdoor' conditions within the span of 5 1/2-hours.
If you had '150-miles' left on the tank by the time you rolled into Boise, that means that your 'range', at 80-mph, was 588.5-miles to fuel exhaustion.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
588.5-miles, divided by 11.9-gallons fuel capacity = '49.45-mpg' *
We need to reconcile the discrepancy between the 78-mpg reported by the ' G.O.M.', and the actual road trip range of 588.5-miles, which 'should' have been 928-miles to 'vapors.'
The first half of the trip from Portland metro to eastern Oregon blue blue mountains was into a headwind. I was getting in the 40s for mpg that way, not to mention going up in elevation. The wind change direction once I made it over the mountain pass. When I did the trip in June with a slight tail wind the whole way, I got almost 700 miles of range out of the tank. The very high mpg I was getting the other day was only a short flat section from la grande to baker city Oregon. Can’t really track much with the mpg and all the mountain passes the rest of the way
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-21-2024)