Thread: HVAC Heat Pump
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 01:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

The real problem I'm trying to solve is to even the temperature differential between upstairs and downstairs. It's typically 6-10 degrees cooler downstairs. With my furnace blower only running 10% of the time on average during the coldest month, there's not much mixing occurring.

My thought is to replace my 5-ton, 10 SEER AC unit and 80% efficient gas furnace/blower with an inverter heat pump....
Seems like the core of your problem is that you are trying to heat and cool a giant 2 story house with a single zone HVAC system. I've yet to see a house were that actually works with equal temperatures on both floors.

I seems the easiest solution is to split your HVAC by floor. You could do this by adding another ducted unit or by adding ductless heat pumps to one of the floors. (I would suggest the floor with less individual rooms.)

I replaced our 80% ducted furnace with a ductless heat pump about 7 years ago. I ended pulling that furnace out but shortly after I did that I thought about it and regretted that choice. The furnace could have been kept as a back-up or to supplement heating when the temperatures drop and the heat pump efficiency also drops.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-25-2024)