View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 10:28 AM   #903 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/wholesa...ce-cuts-ahead/

It seems like we're in a waiting game. Used car prices continue to drop.

Personally I don't see paying $7,000 or more for a car with over 100k miles as a good deal, aa there's no warranty and no guarantee that the vehicle wasn't mistreated in someway and only has a few more months left before a catastrophic failure. To me that means that if I were to get a used car at these prices then:
  1. I don't want a belt driven CVT or a turbo or anything with a poor reputation.
  2. If it has a hybrid or EV battery, then I need to figure into my budget on replacing that battery at some point.
  3. I still want to see the insides of those cylinders. The Prius' cylinders are terribly galled up. That didn't happen overnight.
To me it's bad enough that I bought a driveway ornament Prius for $300. I'd hate to buy a $10,000 driveway ornament like a few people I've known.

What can I say? I just don't trust used cars anymore, and now they're much more expensive than I ever remember them being. And you can't work on them. And you can't hardly find a decent mechanic to work on them either. It's 3 weeks just to get a flat tire fixed around here and months to get in for other mechanic stuff.

Kind of like when you buy a 2019 Ford Escape with 90k miles for nearly $15,000 and three months later the transmission blows and it's $9,000 to fix it and it's going to take 4 months to get the part. Grreeeaaaattttt!!!