View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM   #905 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm nervous about hybrid batteries too, but there are apps that can give an idea of their overall health. I expect 95% of batteries to last at least 15 years.

Regarding not knowing how a vehicle was treated or the current condition; that's why I prefer buying private party. Most people aren't going to put in the effort to clean up the oil in the engine bay that indicates a leak. Most people aren't going to top up the oil if the engine is using it. Most people aren't going to change out other fluids or otherwise cover up the wear on the vehicle. Plus, they can answer questions about the vehicle history.

You get nothing but coverup from a used car salesman, and a claim of ignorance to any questions as to the history or condition.
I think the people you know are much different than the ones I know. I've seen plenty of cars that the check engine light was disconnected on purpose and the car sold that way, and with other McGiver antics hidden away. I've never understood why a person would buy a car between pretty-much-still-new (about 50,000 miles or 5 years max) and it's obviously needs most everything and so costs nearly free. The only cars I've bought that were more than $600 were the Nissan Leaf and Toyota Avalon, both with hardly any mileage and 3 to 5 years old. But my $250 Mazda 323 needed some work on the head and a new radiator, and lasted several years. I probably spent less than $1,000 total on the car. The same with the ol' VW diesel for $600. It ran for 7 years (140,000 miles more than the 300,000 that was on the non-working odometer) with only door handle, a couple fuel line fixes and a few CV joint replacements.