View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 12:47 PM   #911 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Not run across pathological liars yet that you know of, have you?

Pretty sure Judge Judy screens the cases for television appeal.
I feel like that if there were some sort of easy metric to discover when someone is lying then there wouldn't be hardly any liars in this world because lying would be unproductive.

Even lie detector tests can fail at detecting liars. Why should I believe I can detect them with a few simple questions?

But my point was, even if we all could detect liars and a person goes and buys a used car in from someone selling it in good faith that the car is ok, there's no guarantee that it's going to be ok. It's a huge money risk. If cars were 100% reliable until 200k miles then manufacturers would guarantee them for 200k miles. But with engines and transmissions that these days you have to replace the entire engine or transmission, they're not cheap to fix when they do blow up.

Also, cars seem priced like this right now:
  • Brand new: $18,000
  • 50k $15,000
  • 100k $9,000
  • 150k $6,000
  • 200k $3,000
That seems upside down. Older cars should be less expensive because they are at a greater risk of something failing, and because they probably have signs of wear.

I bought my Avalon for less than half (about 45%) the base MSRP at 50k. Looking at 5-year-old Avalons now with 50k they are around 73% of the original base MSRP.