View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 03:55 PM   #913 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I can't have any relationship with a pathological liar, because there's nothing real to have a relationship with.
I work with a few children and young adults that have had a poor upbringing (orphaned, beaten, raped, etc.) that, as a result, almost always have the tendancy to lie through their teeth at every opportunity, since that's what they had to do in order to survive in their younger years. The problem now is that if you take everything they say as a lie you condemn them to a life of a liar. That's because they've been told all their life that they have no hope but to steal, cheat and lie, that they'll never change. So if you keep telling them that narrative they give up trying to conquer their shortcomings.

For that reason it's important for me to try to have a relationship with and believe in anything they say that I possibly can, while of course helping them to see the consequences of lying and benefits of being honest. That's even true if something I try to believe in ends up being another lie.

For me, sure, there are things they say that are obvious lies. But when I'm trying to find things people say that I can believe in, it gets hard splitting hairs on what to believe and what not to believe. And for that reason it's hard for me to automatically take something as a lie just because the person couldn't answer a question quite like the way I wanted him to.

And as I said before, even if the person is completely honest, that's still no guarantee that the car isn't going to die and need a whole new engine or transmission in another couple of months. And if prices are seemingly based on the car being guaranteed to last until 300k when it may not make it past 150k a guy might as well as buy a new car.

Take your Acura for an example. For $7,000 it could very well last until 200k without needing much in the way of repairs. That would be the same per year as a brand new car that's around $14,000, assuming insurance, maintenance and fuel mileage are the same. But if it lasts only until 150k, then it would be the same as a $21,000 brand new car, assuming insurance, maintenance and fuel mileage are the same.

But what I really don't want to happen is to buy a $7,000 car that ends up needing an engine or a California compliant catalytic converter that costs $2,000 for just the cat and then the car end up not lasting much past that for some other reason.