Thread: 2019 Chevy BOLT
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 11:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
more BOLT quanta

As to the recent trip, at the day's pricing:
* using only public charging, the trip would cost $ 83.43.
* an ICE version of the BOLT, at 32-mpg, would have cost $ 76.59.
* the BOLT, at my electric coo-op wind plan pricing, $ 25.22
* the Lucid Air, at AeroStealth's El Paso Electric, off-peak, time of use plan, $ 9.12.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Electrify America charges a $1.146 /gallon-e tax.
* Texas will extract a $200 EV tax from me when I title and register the BOLT.
* At an average 15,000-mile/year travel distance, between electrifyamerica, and the Denton County Tax Office, some BOLT owner, forced to do public charging would be hit with $ 282.32 / year in 'fuel'
taxes.
* This works out at 731.21-gallons-e / year for the BOLT.
* Indicating for 20.5138 mpg, compared to EPA 122- MPG HWY, and an actual 147-mpg HWY actual ( based on thee 62-mph driving )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* This places the BOLT owner with a fuel tax burden which is 296% higher than the theoretical 'ICE' Bolt owner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Topping off the car at electrifyamerica allowed me to document the charging session, from 20-miles ave. indicated, to 209-miles ave. indicated.
* Outdoor air temp was 73F.
* It took one-hour, eight-minutes.
* Charge rate ranged from 17-miles/ hour pack gain, peaking at 19-miles / hour, and tapering off to a minimum 8- miles / hour, at the end of the session. From which I could construct a charging curve, as has been reported by others.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compared to MotorTrend's Road-Trip Range test, from 100% SOC, to 5% SOC, at 70-mph, and climate control set at 72-F:
* Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor = 250-miles, @ 321.48 Wh/mi.
* Polestar 2 Dual Motor...... = 229-miles @ 340.17 Wh/mi.
* Hyundai IONIQ 6 Dual Motor= 227-Miles @ 323.92 Wh/mi.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Driving the BOLT at 62 mph cost me about 13.8-minutes extra drive time / trip leg, but would net 269-miles range, at 229.07 Wh/mi.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comparing the BOLT power and consumption curves I prepared for AeroStealth in 2019, to the actual trip numbers, showed a 97.6% agreement to the actual, allowing known unknowns for wind, grades, curve drag, air density, and actual frontal area.
I like the kW meter, you can see immediate effects of climbing, descending, wind spectra, etc..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the 'math', if I were to 'Coventry University' the BOLT, as was done with the 1999 Audi A2, I could expect to see 375- miles range under the same trip conditions as the Radium Springs, NM, to Denton, TX run.
With the 'Coventry' mods, plus the gap-filled, hyper-light, tadpole trailer, 441-miles range. Not Lucid Air range, but with a 65-kWh pack, and $ 104,000 between the Lucid and the Chevy, I'd be okay with the 441 mpg.

Last edited by aerohead; 04-04-2024 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: typos
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
JSH (04-04-2024)