View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I drive out of my way because certain roads are impassable even at noon with the blasted things herded on the road moving erratically
Maybe they should put those deer crossing signs in areas more suitable for crossing instead of in the interstate.

I went to Hawaii (The Big Island) a couple years ago and rented a minivan for my family and parents. Coming back from the Hilo side to Kona at night, there was a stretch of road absolutely smattered with the blood stains of wild boar. I had multiple instances of full braking, or edge of limit steering avoiding the dumb creatures. That was with a full minivan. Absolute white knuckle driving. Of course, I'd just hit one rather than exceed the handling capabilities of the vehicle, but fortunately I didn't have to.

I'm surprised that wasn't one of the "no-go zones" rental companies get you to agree to considering that is by far the most dangerous area I've ever driving on a Hawaiian island. They exclude easy to drive areas like Haleakalā, or the back way to Hana, but hundreds of wild boar on a highway is fine.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!