Thread: 2019 Chevy BOLT
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 10:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
' theoretical '

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Tangent, but in a theoretical world where a fast charger was located wherever you happened to need it, there's practically no upper speed where driving faster results in a slower trip due to needing to charge more frequently. That upper speed is at least 80 MPH.

That said, chargers are not ideally located, and one must travel at a speed that allows them to reach the next one.

Charging above 80% is mostly pointless (it's so slow), unless one really needs more juice to make it to the next charging location.

... I might be making my first EV trip this month. If I do, I'll make a thread on that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Texas:
* Phase-1 is targeting DC Fast Chargers every 50-miles along designated corridors, @ 80% charge within 40-minutes ( coming up to 80% from a 93-mile HWY stint in the BOLT requires 33-minutes ).
* Phase-2 will hit more rural areas.
* New installs are running $ 150,000 / charge port.
* Repairs & upgrades are running $ 19,565.22 / port.
Note: I notice that LUCIDs, IONIQ-5s, MACH-es, Taycans, E-Trons, M-B EQEs, RIVIANs, Teslas, etc.. can hit a 350 kW CCS and be gone in less than 20-minutes.