Thread: 2019 Chevy BOLT
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 12:49 PM   #32 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,333 Times in 4,740 Posts
'reported costs'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Is $20k in repairs an annual budget, cause that's a ton of money. Seems you could replace the charging cable every month and spend less than $20k per year, so why is it so expensive?

That's the big problem with DCFC, that it has no path towards sustainability. If consumers paid the actual cost to install and operate them, they'd probably be paying $2/kWh, in which case rational people would just drive an ICE.

My prior research found that chargers need to be utilized 8hrs per day to break even on cost, and that's for the cheap 50kW units. Higher output units cost more to install, cost more in demand charges, and require even higher levels of utilization to break even on cost.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1)There is absolutely zero specificity in TEXDOT's reporting, so we don't really 'know' what it that they're telling us.
2) a guess is that: Electrifyamerica pays $ 150,000 for the land, permits, ditching, cabling, transformers, ABB-manufactured charge station, labor, telephone network, global support staff, etc.. to place a single new service 'port' into service for the 1st time.
3) After that, the hardware will require $ 19,565 at some 'interval' in order to keep that port in service ( we don't know this time interval ).
4) Three-years is currently the repayment interval for a solar farm or wind turbine. If so for an EV charging port, then ElectrifyAmerica is grossing $50,000/year/port, will break even @ 36-months, then begin returning a 'profit' in the 37th month, selling at $ 0.42/kWh for EA phone APP members ( $0.64-kWh for 'non-members' .
5) All expenses are tax-deductable, including parts and labor to repair/replace/upgrade.................
6) Texas alone is getting $80-million/ year, for five years, from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, for EV charging.
7) North Central Texas Council of Governments is being awarded tens of $ millions from other sources for EV infrastructure.
8) ElectrifyAmerica is currently getting $ 15.024/gallon for their 'electrolene,'in the Walmart parking lot, while REGULAR UNLEADED is selling 50-yards away at 'Murphy's' for $ 3.299/gallon.
9) To compete with a 32-mpg Chevy TRAX CUV, the BOLT needs to return 141-mpg, which it will just do if I keep my foot out of the go-pedal.
10) Charging at home cuts my 'fuel' cost by 69%, @ $ 4.3816/gallon-e.
11) Aerostealth has just under 10-kW of onsite solar PV he can charge with, and then $ 0.047/kWh, time-of-use from El Paso Electric ( $ 2.527/Gallon-e ).

Last edited by aerohead; 04-11-2024 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-11-2024)