View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 04:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I don't know if I'd believe those "studies." "NOx reductions saw reductions as high as 80 percent, and the ability to extend oil change intervals jumped by 50 percent due to decreased soot and fuel dilution," and "15.5 percent increase in horsepower and a 15.2 percent increase in torque," seem kind of hard to believe to me.

From what I understand you could benefit from dimples but if only they're put in the right places. Just randomly guessing probably won't help. And there are other geometric changes in a combustion chamber that may help more than just dimples.

The way air, fuel and flame flow through a combustion chamber is quite complex. This is one reason why engines keep getting more efficient, the combustion chamber, piston and intake designs do better and putting air and fuel where they need to be and moving in the direction they need to be. That's a lot harder to do than one would think.

Note that the treatment also includes thermal barrier ceramic coatings, so how much of the extraordinary improvements are the dimples and how much is due to the coatings?