Thread: EGR
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 06:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

I will take a deeper look, but I can see from the title: "De-atomization in intake tract in IC racing engines" That this is concerned with RACING!!

Almost every step of my way I have run into the Hot Rod view of my engine build.

The 193 heads do not breath well (disproven by a few people with flow bench testing)

The 193 heads will not run over 5 or 6K. Well I do not plan on a engine that can run up to 6K.

Now it is this. OK they are NOT racing heads….I do not need racing heads as I am not racing.

Damn near every hot rod/performance part I have every bought has NOT really improved over all driving.

The problem with Hot Rodding IS Hot Rodding, their aim is making more HP and going faster. And this can mean losing some of the everyday needs, such as cold weather driving, of MPG.

And often they go against what the factory built.

Granted a mass produced device will be a middle of the road design, and it tollance will be just good enough to do its job.

Even todays cars have room for some improvement, especially in higher HP and speed. It is fairly easy to Hop Up a PCM just add more fuel is mainly the answer…

GM spends millions even billions making their engines do a daily job, start, drive smoothly get fair MPG and last at least 100K.

THEY designed the 193s with a swirl port, ran them for a number of years then made their big brothers the Vortex Heads and they were and are still considered THE HOT HEAD.

And I have not checked into if these are still The Hot Heads…none the less they made them for at least a decade.

Here is a story how GM once tried to mount carbs with only three bolts…how it saved millions by using one less bolt, one less bolt to drill for, and tap for and put in during building.

It failed as three bolts did not keep a good seal. BUT the moral is if anything could be left off a modern car’s drive train it would be, so it has to be there for the car to do its job. So think very hard before changing anything…

I learned to keep my cars mainly stock, for overall best driving.

GM spent millions making these heads, for a good reason, for everyday driving, and keep making them as improved models.

I believe they know what they are doing for a good street engine and belive in them for my need over a racing engine.

Racing heads are Ported, Cleaned, and Polished and opened up.

I read a ton of reports that this porting and polishing is great for racing, BUT NOT good for MPG. For MPG I read a lot of reports to NOT polish the ports as it will lessen MPG.

So what good for racing is almost always bad for MPG.

On the other hand, many of hot rodding improvements can make for a longer stronger engine and transmissions, so many of these improvements I did use.

One especially is the Rhoads Variable Roller Lifters, which allow my engine to detune: lower the HP at low RPMS and then raise it at higher RPMs and again a bit of Hot Roding used to make MPG not HP. This lifters were invented to help tame a lopping hot rod cam and help make such an engine run almost normal at normal driving….

A kind of having a Good Tame MPG engine and the when needed a more of a performance higher RPM engine making good power all the way from1K to 4.5K.

I had a 2000 Mercury Grand Marques with a stock 4.6 engine making 200HP.

It got 30MPG at 65MPH.

I now have a 2003 Crown Vic with a 4.6, with the Performance improved heads and intake, it now makes 240HP.

Both engines have a REDLINE of 5500RPMs NOT 6000 or 7000, more or less 5000.

The 03 now gets ONLY 25MPG at 65MPH.

Everything is the same: Same transmission, 4 speed auto with .70 overdrive, same rear end a 3.27 rear gears.

SO 40 MORE HP = Less MPG.

This hot rod view runs on every step and nearly every main part of my build.

My cam is WRONG it will not make HP all the way to 6K+.

My using an 86 to 89 TPI Intake also will not run over 5K.

I had to keep saying: I am NOT building a racing hot rod engine, I am building a Low RPM Torque MPG engine.

Nearly everything I have read has shown my engine should make good to great MPG at 1500RPMs and with my use of a second overdrive do this at 75/80MPH.

I am trading high RPM HP for Low RPMs Torque.

I hope and plan on installing all of this by June, and hope to be running by July, there will be a breaking in of the rebuilt engine, 4L0e transmission and the NOS US Gear Dual Range overdrive.

Then I can begin MPG Testing and tuning.

Then we will see.

Anything better that the crappy 14MPG this van has gotten will be any improvement.

Rich