Thread: EGR
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

Yes, I get that you're trying to make a fuel sipper, not a fuel guzzler. But getting the most power from the least amount of fuel helps both worlds. And you can still build an engine that gets as good of fuel mileage as possible and let the power fall wherever it falls, even if it's pretty puny.

I have read many books that say tune your engine and drive train so that your engine is at or near your engines Torque Peek for best MPG at your preferred Speed.

BUT a torque peak of 2800 RPMs mean cruse below 2500RPMs will not give good MPG…

In some instances power and fuel mileage are at odds with each other.
* A bigger engine will run with the throttle more closed running less efficiently.

Yes, thus my looking into EGR to cause a more open throttle to cut “pumping losses”

* More boost means more enrichment, which also isn't good for fuel mileage.

I have NO boost of any kind.

* Large, open, unrestrictive intake tracts don't help fuel mileage any more than keeping the throttle valve large, open, and unrestrictive (unless maybe it's a diesel, but then it would need to be sized for the lower RPMs you're likely going to be targeting, which again would be smaller than what a performance expert would recomend).

Small low performance heads and valves are reported better for MPG.

But when it comes to things like:
* More fuel atomization,
* More compression in general,
* Less restrictive exhaust, or at least understading how exhaust and intakes actually flow instead of just slapping on big tubes thinking that's going to solve everything.

WHICH is why I am running a STOCK TPI, no big tubes, stock 193 Heads with stock valves, and a stock cast iron exhaust manifold into low restrtive cats and mufflers.

These are the things that get you more power from less fuel, those things help with people striving for either goal. Some of the most fuel efficient car engines in the world are F1 race cars, being around 50% efficient.

Yes, at full throttle and max RPMS, but will them do 35 to 50MPG???

Yes efficient in their world…

Rich

PS Color to highlight my replies