View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
plym49
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I've seen these so-called "pulse" sparkplugs advertised here and there, and also checked them out on the web. I can't find much in the way of reviews or testimonials about them. Does anybody know more, or has anyone on the forum tried them out?

...snip...

Again according to the ad copy, the pulse is supposed to be hotter and bigger, but I don't recall seeing any mention of the spark's duration, which seems important to me. I'm also curious as to whether it might do damage to a multi-spark ignition system.
I once installed a Jacobs' ignition on my SBC. They tout variable spark generation based upon the load on an engine, so maybe this is a more intelligent implementation of the same basic principle. I can't say that I noticed any performance or economy gains with the Jacobs unit. It did look kewl and had some nice bells and whistles, like a valet mode that limits rpm to, say, 1500. But I sure did burn through a lot of caps and rotors!!!!! Even when using supposed 'high voltage/high performance' (yeah right, it is still the same dielectric path because that is fixed by the shape) parts.