View Single Post
Old 05-22-2024, 01:27 PM   #571 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,459 Times in 3,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I only set an alarm if I have an early appointment.
Me too. I've been waking around 4:30 and usually try unsuccessfully to sleep again until 6.

Spin class (stationary bikes) is at 5 though, so I'm thinking that's probably a better use of my restlessness. My aim once this cold/cough is over is to get into that routine.

I've been recruited to run Hood to Coast this year, which is always how I end up on a team, because torturing myself in that way is never a thought I come up with. I'm probably about average as far as natural running ability goes, which is to say very slow compared to those who regularly run, so I can't explain why I get invited to teams.

Quote:
I still wonder about them putting up big sheets of paper over the windows and not letting the poll watchers in the room.
Illicit behavior during the election is guaranteed to occur, but the biggest questions are a. how organized was the corruption, and b. did it affect the outcome. I expect corruption to occur on both sides roughly equally, considering both sides are constituted of the same meat-bodies.

The manipulation didn't occur covertly, but blatantly. All of the influential institutions used the tools at their disposal to tilt toward their political preference. The FBI was weaponized to lie about facts, for instance. Social media outlets weaponized by being "truth" gatekeepers while perpetuating hoaxes. Institutions of education have always had their agendas, and youth are susceptible to the ideas espoused by people appearing to be sophisticated. Mega corporations are politically motivated towards those willing to create restrictions in the marketplace to limit competition... and on and on.

So, I yawn when a discussion about how well a ballot box was monitored comes up, especially when the argument is centered around what color of socks the guy hitting me upside the head is wearing.

Quote:
Have you listened to the speeches of Hitler translated to English in his natural speaking voice? What I got from that was that he wanted to Make Germany Great Again, and placed himself as a bulwark between the German volk and their Deep State. Not saying the one person is like the other, but history is written by the winners, and you have to wonder.... One of them pumped his fists up and down and the other plays an invisible accordion.
I'll have to give it a listen. Here's the problem I have with hating political leaders; they don't constitute the moral failing of society, but instead reflect it. 1 person didn't invent anti-Semitism and then convince millions to blame the Jews for everything; he merely organized those feelings into effective institutions...

Quote:
I think we lost the moral high ground with first use of nuclear weapons...
...which segues my point about society being responsible for moral failing. Societies produce soldiers, not the other way around, which volunteers them as tactical targets, as they are the centers of mayhem.

My position on this particular subject is most entertainingly explained by Denzel Washington.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!