View Single Post
Old 05-22-2024, 02:46 PM   #573 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,416 Times in 3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I visited my friends upriver last night, and in the discussion he made reference to 'when the Capitol was attacked' without including the date. I said 'the British in 1812?' That really set him off.
Of course you would, lol.

On that subject, I listened to Ann's podcast with Gavin, the founder of Proud Boys. He claims to have known the walk to the Capitol was a setup, and instructed his group to not go there. Not sure how effective that instruction was.

When you get angry mobs of those proportions, mayhem always ensues. It could be a sports team losing a championship, a BLM protest, or a political loss... the orderly majority will be overshadowed by the disorderly few, and the "mostly peaceful" demonstration will be forgotten due to the not-peaceful fraction.

Quote:
They watch the TV news every night and think I'm uninformed. I remind them of the quote [mis]attributed to Samuel Clemens:
I've experienced that as a subject in a newspaper article. Figured they got the facts wrong just in the piece I happened to be in, and expert to, not realizing it's commonplace. Scott references that error and it has a name, I'm just not recalling it at the moment.

Quote:
I also remind them occasionally:
I'm partial to that quote since it flatters my interest.

To put a finer point on the morality of the use of nuclear weapons, you're already aware that more people were killed in the conventional bombings that took place than both A-bombs. If regular bombs were justifiable; the more explody ones were too.

The moral high ground was achieved by not flattening a defeated enemy, and allowing their sovereignty to remain, while developing into an economic powerhouse and ally.

Perhaps I'm biased though, since I would not exist but for those particular events (being 1/4 Japanese).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-22-2024 at 02:51 PM..