View Single Post
Old 05-28-2024, 02:48 PM   #608 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,254 Times in 4,674 Posts
' regen efficiency '

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
While the differences should be less, driving style can make a significant impact.

Some people see driving an EV as a free pass to efficiency, but that's not the reality.
Acceleration at a modest pace has an unavoidable minimum hit, but accelerating more briskly reduces efficiency, heating the controller, pack, and motor more. I can't really speculate exactly how much, but it's one of the things that makes racing my i3 less fun. (More than a couple of minutes of balls out driving puts it into overheat protection.) But what a lot of drivers in general fail at, EV or otherwise, is predicting traffic, and that can have a huge impact on regeneration potential as well.

More savvy EV drivers and us attempt to never use the brakes, while the less savvy are always throwing energy away by constantly tapping them or blasting up to stopped traffic and obviously throwing a good portion of energy away. Likewise, people who are constantly on and off the throttle also multiply the inefficiency losses over time, as even regeneration at best is still well under 90%. (80-85% is the number that is floating around in my head.)

So bad drivers still get bad efficiency and drag the numbers down.
According to MOTORTREND, the data collected by their test provider, Emissions Analytics, places kinetic energy capture regen efficiency at 81.1%. This is 'WHY' EPA 'CITY' is typically higher than EPA 'HWY'.
AeroStealth just got back from Wyoming ( to Las Cruces, NM ) in the Hyundai IONIQ 5. He said that once leaving Yellowstone N.P., heading south, down the Teton Range to Jackson Hole, he had gained mileage the whole way.
The GM engineer who designed the Chevy BOLT reported that regen was responsible for 40-miles of it's EPA COMB MPG rating.
redpoint5 (05-28-2024)