View Single Post
Old 05-28-2024, 07:22 PM   #610 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,180 Times in 808 Posts
Sometimes that regen is counted where a coast would have been a better idea. This is the problem with Teslas one pedal only setup. On a long highway trip no doubt maybe you could get 20 miles of regen BUT at the expense of 30 miles of coasting. I'm just picking numbers, but there is always a loss in the generation, storage, and then reapplication of power. The coast is just free movement. Normally when I'm driving on the freeway, I never once brake for 100s of miles but often need to let off the pedal and lose a bit of speed. I can also much better anticipate that compared to self driving which drives right up to the slowdown and brakes instead of just letting up 50 or 100 yards back.

Side note, got pulled over this weekend for Montana's new slow down and pull over for emergency vehicles law. I didn't think it applied to stuff going on on the opposite shoulder and didn't realize the law says to slow down 35 mph below the speed limit. Luckily just a warning because the new ticket is steep. I couldn't even see the police car stopped behind a pickup pulled completely off the opposite shoulder until I was right on it. I guess slam on the brakes and hope the guy behind me who can't even see the cars stopped over there sees my 70 to 35 mph speed decrease. The new rules are so vaguely worded and there are 3 different speeds depending on the road. From what I can tell if you are on highway 93 going through Darby where the limit goes down to 25 mph. If there is a tow truck or something you need to stop and go in reverse 10 mph to meet the 35 mph reduction.

Basically if traveling Montana slow way down if you see any lights until they work this out better.