View Single Post
Old 06-06-2024, 11:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,255 Times in 4,675 Posts
' know '

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Do you know what each of those tools do? I recognize Python and IGES as standards (employed in Blender) and Autodesk Alias and Adobe Indesign as competitive software products. At least somewhat, Indesign is page layout software.

I know naught about Seimens and Ansys, but Wikipedia says Ansys Fluent was acquired in 2006 for $299 million. I doubt it has iterated as much as Blender since 2006.

The 'big dogs' have vendor lock-in and institutional inertia.
If it will ever stop storming around here, and I can get months of outdoor work behind me, I'm going to visit the Dean of the Engineering Park, connected with UNT, and see about a nickel tour of their 'Fluids' apparatus.
Their 'textbook' is now is 'online' only. More recent fluids texts I perused in New Mexico over the Thanksgiving holiday had nothing to offer over my text from the 1970s.
There's no wind tunnel that I know of.
UNT 'is' tied into the multi-million $ Dell super-computer at UT Austin, which is shared between about eight university campuses in Texas.
The school should provide all the extant hardware and AUTOCAD-CAM, CFD software to provide students a segway into the state-of-the-art for contemporary industry needs.
'George Soros' found me through 'leftist' channels, and is going to underwrite
some road vehicle aerodynamic research of my choosing. So I need to know what UNT's capabilities are, and see what kind of 'tool kit' they might offer to someone offering grants.
I can't answer your question until then.