View Single Post
Old 06-10-2024, 10:41 AM   #227 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,333 Times in 4,740 Posts
' aluminum or............'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregord View Post
Hangers & sturdy L-sections... Do you use aluminum or galvanized steel?

What is there is steel storage boxes(33" deep) supported by light weight steel square tube to the truck frame and... the perimeter frame(of the MH) which is heavier angle-iron & is supported vertically & gusseted between outer hatches.
Attachment 34758
The other side has the cat, LP tank & muffler. no steel storage boxes supported by light weight steel square tube. Actually the "hole" behind the rearend... between the fuel tank & rear bumper looks sorta like a parachute.

The airdam, or leading pan from bumper... could be as low as the I-beam
Lowering the whole bellypan to the I-beam(front susp sitting on wood blocks) height would be the goal- correct? or is one step (or diffuser) behind the I-beam acceptable?
Attachment 34757
Perhaps a chin airdam & side skirts would be more in order?

The BoB is a fun spot. The RedDog across the street & north is a usual hangout, also.
* Years ago, I scored a fair amount of aluminum angle section in Waxahachie, TX. Many recycling centers no longer allow any material to be recovered and purchased, and this may be the 'end' of accessing used structural light metal for me.
* Working with steel, the added weight difference vs aluminum, considering the all-up weight of your RV, probably wouldn't be a deal breaker.
* If the beam axle is 'isolated', compared to the rest of underbody components, and an air dam and skirts would increase frontal area, you might consider just streamlining the axle. I did this on the Viking 2-wheel trailer. It's 'invisible' when pulling, and maybe the trouble to create the low drag exposed axle was worth it ( all F-1, INDYCARs, and many Bonneville lakesters take advantage of faired suspension bits).
* Koenig-Fachsenfeld ( 'KAMM') completely faired in the underside of an omnibus in the 1930s, including aft of the rear axle, fordramatic drag reduction.So did NASA and Freightliner( Daimler-Benz ), with their semitrailers. It was also one of the tricks Subaru employed to get their XT down to Cd 0.29 in 1985.
sregord (06-10-2024)